Dive Site Management - request for feedback

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Wed May 27 05:39:40 PDT 2015

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 1:17 PM, Willem Ferguson
<willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:

>> I agree that if manage cannot be used to define the current dive site,
>> then it should move outside of the Notes panel dealing with the present
>> dive. But, big problem: to be honest, there is not a logical alternative
>> place for this button within the Notes panel. So let's keep it where it is.

I think we should remove that button there.

In my old workflow, the dive site management was a fair compromise
between Henrick, Dirk and me idea.
Skipping for a while the import process and the tag/reverse geocoding
matters... I proposed a new tab:

http://lists.subsurface-divelog.org/pipermail/subsurface/2015-February/018111.html

Dirk pushed back my idea proposing a full view to manage dive sites.
Hence IMHO we should have an option in the main menu... I promise i
will play more this evening with the new toy.

NOTES TAB
--------------------------------------

IMHO the new Location field into the Notes panel should be just a NOT
editable texbox.
Eventually near dive site name you have the geo-tags chosen (via
reverse geocoding or manually added). In my wireframe I imagined a
group box with geo-tags. In a hurry I did not draw all Notes controls.

http://i.imgur.com/OphJsjy.png

There's no "manage button" but there is a new tab named "Dive site"
that is an extended view on the dive location.

Dirk wrote about a dedicated view to manage all dive sites...
I avoided it in my wireframes. It would be nice we could avoid another view.
A prerequisite would be that a "dive site" does not exist by itself
inside a logbook.
You cannot create a new dive site. You simply create a new dive as
usual and eventually a new dive site for it.
In this way (I hope) everything it's simpler and we could have a
design like mine.

DIVE SITE TAB
------------------------

http://i.imgur.com/rxqX8Hv.png

This is more or less the same as in the experimental build.
There is a new group-box with the current geo-tags chosen (again: via
reverse geocoding or manually added). In my wireframe they came from
reverse geocoding because there are GPS data.
There is an Update button near geo-tags: it queries again the reverse
geocoding service.
Geo-tags can be deleted with the X icon.
Maybe when I tried to use the service it was not available (network..)
so I could imagine to have a special icon indicating that this dive
site has not been correctly updated...

Any operation on this panel will trigger an edit!

DIVE SITE EDIT
-------------------------

One weak side of this design is that the dive site tab could refer to
many dives (I've just deleted the stat tab for this :) ) but I think
we can live with it. Dive site is strictly related to the current dive
so the info is not misleading.
Of course, when we edit it we must alert user that we are going to
affet one or several dives:

http://i.imgur.com/RD7FdQs.png

--
Davide