Subsurface ans Dropbox

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed May 27 10:05:25 PDT 2015

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 09:55:31AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 9:47 AM, Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> >
> >                   The reason is sad: libgit2 doesn't have any sane
> > authentication model. Real git will use your .ssh/config file to pick
> > things like authentication keys and do proper user names and hostname
> > translations, so you can set things up so that it "just works".
> > libgit2 doesn't do any of that.
>
> Just to clarify: real git doesn't actually do any authentication on
> its own, it just depends on ssh - it executes an external program to
> open the connection. So you get all the configurability that ssh has.
> Per-site keys, per-site user-names etc etc.
>
> libgit2, in contrast, wants to do everything by hand in C. It uses
> libssh2, but that isn't the same thing at all as executing the ssh
> program.

I still want to get this to work somehow. But every time I try to wrap my
mind around what's missing and what's needed I get distracted. And it's
not something I'm familiar enough with so that it would be easy to start
and stop.

Even given that libgit2 uses libssh2 it should still be possible to craft
a way to communicate with a server and keep a repository synced with that
server...

It's software. All problems are solvable.