something is wrong with the "facebook_integration" module

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Nov 9 07:24:37 PST 2015

> On Nov 9, 2015, at 6:25 AM, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> wrote:
>
> Hey
>
> to me it looks like that in my case the facebook module is not linked
> both to the core and the desktop-widget modules.
>
> if set the following in the cmake CMD line:
> -DDISABLE_PLUGINS=1 -DFBSUPPORT=1
> all is good.
>
> and you get no facebook support.

(not a huge loss... oops)

> any idea what is causing that? perhaps my older cmake...
>
> I don't think it's your old cmake. Dirk also told me that those caused problems on Mac. I think I'll have to reestructure the libsubsurface_core and others to be dynamic because of the plugin, this won't change anything on the programming side besides a few exports.
>
> BTW, why did you decide to introduce plugins in Subsurface? are there
> benefits over any possible complications that the plugins may
> introduce.
>
> yes: it's now simpler to create a new SocialNetwork integration by creating a new plugin for it. think of G+, Diaspora, Instagram, etc.

Here's the thing. I know you wanted to do this, Tomaz, and who am I to tell people not work on something they care about, but... there is no G+ API. I don't know anyone using Diaspora, I have never seen a request for Twitter or Instagram integration, we don't have people standing in line writing such plugins, and we have a ton of other work that really might be useful. So while I appreciate that this is something you care about, I'm not convinced that this is the best direction to go. And when I read "this won't change anything"... "just a few exports" my immediate reaction is "great, this will be broken for the next few months and make it impossible for people who aren't on the latest Linux versions to build".
Because for me building is broken on Windows, Mac, all Ubuntu versions prior to 15.10. Which means most everyone here currently can't build.
That's why I added the DISABLE_PUGINS define. And I think I'll switch this to default to ON so that the out of the box user (err, developer) experience is better.

> also, unless i'm mistaken, if a plugin is static linked against the
> same .a modules that the executable is linked (core, profile,
> desktop-widges, etc) aren't we are going to distribute the same code
> twice and the plugin size is going to be quite large?
>
> Probably, and maybe this is the reason why it's failing.
> Please, continue to compile without facebook integration, I'll try to fix that here by transforming the subsurface_core and subsurface_interface into dynamic libraries.

I am really really not sure that I want that.