mobile app vs. companion app

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Nov 13 22:08:18 PST 2015

So I thought about this some more (and Linus also chimed in) and changed
direction.

With the latest master Subsurface-mobile can "mostly" replace the
companion app. You can enter your user id (but there are no "sign up" or
"send me forgotten user id" options, yet) and can then upload the GPS
fixes it records. You can't set the time / distance thresholds, those are
hardcoded.

But as far as I can tell all that is missing are a few small things on the
edges, the core of what the companion app can do is there and appears to
be working in my minimal testing.

And of course you can ALSO apply the GPS fixes to dives that are loaded on
the device - so now there are two possible work flows

a) you have a dive computer that can download to your tablet / phone:
   you're golden, you can do it all on your device. Track GPS, download
   dives, merge in GPS locations

b) you connect your dive computer to your laptop; now you have two options
   b1) use cloud storage; after you entered everything on the laptop, save
       cloud storage, load from cloud storage on your device, merge GPS
       locations, save back to cloud storage
   b2) the old fashioned way; push from device to Subsurface webservice
       load from webservice and merge in locations on your laptop