AppImage for testing

Lutz Vieweg lvml at 5t9.de
Sat Nov 14 06:27:36 PST 2015

On 11/05/2015 12:45 AM, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> If you are on ANY flavor of x86-64 Linux (Fedora, Debian, Centos,
> PCLinuxOS, Gentoo, Arch, OpenSUSE, whatever)... please test the AppImage

Just tested the more recent Subsurface_4.5.2.212_x86_64.AppImage
on...

CentOS 7:  Seems to work fine on first glance

CentOS 6.5: Does not start, error message:
> Subsurface_4.5.2.212_x86_64.AppImage: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by Subsurface_4.5.2.212_x86_64.AppImage)

BTW: Even though I prefer to compile subsurface executables on my own
I applaud the approach to offer such distribution independent
executables for download.

It's a pity that the art of linking statically has almost
been forgotten, providing executables independent of external
files used to be so easy when library programmers didn't rely
on a thousand 3rd-party files being available from somewhere.
Seems strange how much effort it is today to just put one
application into one file...

Regards,

Lutz Vieweg