"one dive" printout - not correct HTML interpretion for dive from planner

Stefan Fuchs sfuchs at gmx.de
Sun Nov 15 00:24:21 PST 2015

Hello Rick, hi All,

Am 14.11.2015 um 22:39 schrieb Rick Walsh:
> On 15 November 2015 at 04:23, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com
> <mailto:neolit123 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 14 November 2015 at 14:34, Stefan Fuchs <sfuchs at gmx.de
>     <mailto:sfuchs at gmx.de>> wrote:
>     > Hi All,
>     >
>     > again a item where I would like to ask you for improvement:
>     > When adding a dive with the planner, the planner puts the
>     runtime and
>     > additional info into the notes with some nice HTML formating.
>     >
>     > When I try to export or print this, the HTML is not interpreted
>     any more and
>     > the notes are impossible to read. Example attached.
>     >
>     > Subsurface 4.5.2
>     > Windows 10 Home, Version 1511 ;-)
>     > German language
>     >
>     >

> Thanks for testing and sharing your feedback.
>

>     actually the image you provided shows that the HTML tags are not
>     converted to plain text, which is a bug.
>     but i cannot reproduce it with English or German languages (see
>     attachment).
>
>     that's odd...
>
> The commit that strips the HTML tags from the text on printing was
> 97e53649fd140afa5bb721d87063b7808d8da44f
> (http://git.subsurface-divelog.org/index.cgi?p=subsurface.git;a=commitdiff;h=97e53649fd140afa5bb721d87063b7808d8da44f),
> and doesn't look like it made it into the latest stable (4.5.2)
> release, which Stefan is using.
>
> Using the latest daily, I tried to recreate your planned dive (VPMB
> +3, altitude 400m, salinity 1.03 kg/l, 9m/min descent, ascent rates of
> 9m/min, 3m/min, 3m/min and 1m/min, min 5min gas change), and attached
> the output.  You can see that the HTML formatting codes have been
> removed.  Unfortunately, so have the table line breaks, so the output
> is far from ideal.
Thanks for having a look at this.
I agree that the HTML formating is not that important for the moment but
the missing line breaks make the runtime on the printout almost useless.
Do you think it would be possible to keep the line breaks while removing
the HTML?

Meanwhile I also found the "other" option to print the runtime directly
from the planner window. Using this option the format is good save the
last line with funny characters (see attachment). But it doesn't support
the feature to have dive graph plus runtime in one printout.

> I'm guessing Lake Konstanz is freshwater.  If you're setting you dive
> computer / gauge to freshwater, I suggest planning dives for
> freshwater too, by changing salinity to 1.00 kg/l.  This will make
> your plan 3 min shorter.  It's ok to you leave your computer set on
> saltwater if you plan your dives for saltwater.
Yes, freshwater. I use to set my dive computers to standard 1.02kg/l for
both freshwater and saltwater. Too lazy to always change this. So I for
sure should plan also with 1.02kg/l.

Unfortunately playing with this showed me another issue in Subsurface:
Neither altitude nor salinity selected in the planner are saved
correctly into the divelog file.
So if I for my dive:
- Set to 400m/1.02kg/l
- Save dive in planner and exit planner