mobile app vs. companion app

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Nov 16 13:52:14 PST 2015

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 09:34:20PM +0000, Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> > > Obvious question: Do you have a list of the missing bits?
> >
> > Sure.
> > a) ability to manually add a location. "Create named gps fix here" which adds
> > a fix with the given name, current location and current time
> > b) ability to create a Location Webservice account. My hunch is that we
> > should change the way things are currently done and just somehow make this
> > work with the cloud service credentials. I'll work on that part as that
> > requires changes to our infrastructure
> > c) retrieve forgotten id - just like b) I want to rethink the way we do this
> > currently
>
> Ok, nothing for me in this list (by the logic of me concentrating on tasks
> that need skills not currently in the team, the QML parts more or less for
> now).

a) has a UI component... I can certainly try with my AMAZING QML skills to
add this and then have you undo the damage :)

The other two are indeed things I need to figure out how I want them to
work on the back end so that we don't need a UI for any of this and it
just works transparently. I'll look into that tonight (unless something
else distracts me).

> I'll focus on getting the divelist and details reworked (the swipable details
> being part of that), restructuring the navigation to make it future proof, and
> then removing everything else from the UI as to only make it show features we
> are happy with. I hope that the intersection will already make the companion
> app unnecessary, so we can concentrate on just one codebase, otherwise, we'll
> re-prioritize these plans to match.

This sounds like exactly the right plan. As far as I am concerned no
future work on the companion apps should need to happen, all future work
should go into Subsurface-mobile