No irda on windows 10

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Mon Nov 23 00:54:29 PST 2015

On 23/11/2015 06:21, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 17:56:34 +0100
> "Robert C. Helling" <robert at euve10195.vserver.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As I hear, MS removed the IrDA stack from their windows 10 release version. So now, it seems people with IR dive computers and windows are lost as Mac users have been for quite some time.
>>
>> Best
>> Robert
> Well at least Linux will have an IrDA stack for a few more years.
> It isn't surprising since Linux seems to support hardware long past its expiration date.
Well, since Linux is not driven by a profit motive, is unlikely that
IrDA support will disappear within the forseeable future. Another
positive attribute of Linux. It may not always be there by default, but
it should be available for a reasonably long time into the future. As
far as I can see there has not been a lot been a lot of activity on the
IrDA-Linux development site
(http://sourceforge.net/p/irda/mailman/irda-users/) for 5 or 6 years and
the technology is probably static in development (52 CVS commits over
the last 10 years, all older than 5 y), yet it has not been dropped from
Linux. IrDA has no expiration date that I am aware of. It will probably
slowly become less and less used, ultimately being replaced by
Bluetooth-like technology. But there will always be legacy equipment and
in that case Linux is obviously the answer because of its superior support.
Kind regards,
willem