EON Steel new firmware testing?

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Mon Nov 23 13:17:10 PST 2015

So there's a new firmware for the Suunto EON Steel - version 1.2.17,
and while the biggest user-visible change seems to be the ability to
have the buttons on the other side (by rotating the displayed text 180
degrees), there's apparently also some changes to the download format.

The "details" such as they are at

  http://www.suunto.com/Support/Products/Suunto-EON-Steel-Software-Update-12-November-2015/

and you'll need DM5 to do the upgrade because I never figured out that
part (you can run DM5 in a VM like I do, just make sure to pass
through not only the *normal* USB device of 1491:0030, you also need
to pass through the "firmware update device" of 1491:0031).

I've upgraded my own EON Steel, but I have no diving coming up, so I
don't have any actual dive images with the new firmware..

Anyway, if somebody has upgraded to the 1.2 firmware and have actually
done diving with that firmware, can you try downloading the new dives,
and enable the "Save libdivecomputer logfile" thing too? Even if it's
successful (but especially if it is *not* successful), that logfile
would be interesting to see.

Thanks,

                 Linus