dive location database?

K. "pestophagous" Heller pestophagous at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 12:56:35 PST 2015

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 10:17:40AM +0100, Guillaume Gardet wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am working on a project of dive sites (and dive centers) database, which will be released under an open license.
>> It will be available on a GIT repo, probably github.
>> A website will be also available with an API to access the data (XML and JSON outputs).
>>
>> It would be very interesting if Subsurface could make use of it.
>> I can give access to the testing website if some subsurface devs want to play with it.
>
> We have a couple of other sources of dive site data bases. The more the
> merrier. But the gating factor is that someone needs to implement the UI
> to use this. It's on my todo list. So are many other things.
>
> It's our usual problem. No shortage of good ideas.
> A distinct shortage of people willing and able to work on the UI.
>
> /D

i would be happy to work on this.  as a newcomer, i have been trying
to find all the "things that need doing" without bugging anyone with a
lot of questions.

i have mainly operated using the trac tickets as a todo list. (patches
for 733, 820, and 912 so far.) in trac, people had already taken the
time to describe what needed doing, so i was able to find work to do
without waiting for anyone to explain things.

the idea of saving time entering locations sounds very appealing.
what is the envisioned workflow?
is reverse geocoding the main interest? (the diver has GPS
coordinates, and subsurface retrieves the "friendly" site name from
the public/shared database?)
or would the workflow be the opposite: enter some human-readable text
first, and then subsurface attempts to grab corresponding GPS coords
from the database?
or maybe people want both kinds of lookup?

besides Guillaume's dive site database, what other dive site databases
should be considered? (all i found mentioned in mail list archives was
general stuff like OpenStreetMap)

is there a trac ticket for this?  even if i am not the right person
for the task, writing a "rough spec" in a trac ticket might attract
the attention of others like me who have the quiet, lurker mindset :)

--K Heller