Subsurface app for iOS

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Nov 26 11:30:35 PST 2015

> On Nov 26, 2015, at 11:05 AM, Zai Gezundt <zai.gezundt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Tomaz:
> Alas, no CMake skills worth mentioning.

Dang :-)

> Dirk:

Yep
> Based in EST.
> Extensive experience in native iOS development, Objective-C, Swift, Xcode.
Xcode is not something I have tried to use when building Subsurface. In theory cmake should be able to create an Xcode project file, so this may be worth investigating - especially since I seem to remember Tomaz telling me at some point that Xcode is needed for iOS, anyway.
> Android development as well, Java (obviously) and JNI (C++).
Subsurface-mobile is running as Android app, that's the one we'll use on iOS as well. A C/C++/Qt core with QML UI. No Java involved :-)
> Running OS X El Capitan on the VMWare (Windows 7 as a host). Have couple of iDevices for testing beyond simulator.
As I said, you can't (really) build on Windows. MacOS should be fine. We occasionally have hiccups there (because most of the main developers are on Linux), but actually the number of Mac based developers keeps increasing and I try to make sure that we don't break things too often for people on the Mac. Both Tomaz and I have Macs as well (but mainly develop under Linux).
> [Holiday] weekends are only time when I can have fun that is not diving.
Ha, so the next four days are the prime time to get you going. I'll make sure to check email often :-)
> "If you want to work on Qt/QML ..." - it seems I have no choice if I want to contribute to Subsurface?
Yes, I guess that's a fair statement when talking about Subsurface-mobile.

just a little piece of nomenclature:
Subsurface is the desktop app - runs on Linux, Mac and Windows.
Subsurface-mobile is the, err, mobile app - runs on Android (and Linux and Mac for development purposes). Should soon run on iOS.
Subsurface companion app is what we call the old companion apps (we have two completely different ones for Android and iOS. All they do is collect GPS fixes.