Isues with photos drag-and-drop

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Sun Nov 29 01:13:10 PST 2015

Robert,

I have been looking at the drag-and-drop of photos from the photos tab
onto the profile, an excellent feature that I have already used to
advantage. I suspect you are still working on the feature, but here are
a few comments.

1) The ability to open an image from the photos tab has been removed: a
simple double-click does not open an image any more. This may have
disappeared because of other patches, not the drag&drop patch. But it
was still active in V4.5.2. I would suggest that, in order to separate
the two actions (open image; drag&drop image) they should be separated
so as to make the drag&drop a little more difficult to do by accident.
Would it make sense to initiate the drag&drop with a shift-click instead
of just a click? And, of course to open the image with the usual
double-click.

2) There are issues with respect to the drag&drop action. I think it is
brought about by the fact that I often have fairly long file names that
affect the positioning of the thumbnails within the photos tab. I saved
a short screencast to:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oy775nqg87z4iyz/drag_and_drop.mp4?dl=0
The issues highlighted there are:
c) When the code works as it should (as I understand it) and an image is
dragged from the photos panel, the cursor is positioned on top of the
moving thumbnail. This prevents precise placement of the thumbnail on
the profile because it obscures the place where one would like to drop
the micro-thumbnail image. See the first image drag&drop in the
screencast. I avoid this by clicking the image name and not the image
itself. Under ideal circumstances, maybe, one should position the
drag&drop cursor at the bottom left corner of the thumbnail??
b) When clicking on empty space, not near an image within the photos
tab, the drag&drop cursor appears and one can drag&drop the cursor. Of
course no image is copied across in this action. Under ideal
circumstances the cursor should not change if no image is selected. The
terminal shows warnings:
QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine == 0, type: 2
QPainter::end: Painter not active, aborted
See the console at the top right of the screencast.

b) When an image is selected, the thumbnail moves and often appears in
unexpected places, even on the dive list panel below. See the last
drag&drop in the screencast.

I hope this helps,
Kind regards,
willem