[mobile ui] navigation rework

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 09:25:17 PST 2015

On 1 Dec 2015 01:27, "Sebastian Kügler" <sebas at kde.org> wrote:

> [...]
you had
> > > in your branch. And since you didn't touch compiled code (except for
> > > adding the //imports) I didn't see any concern in doing this, anyway -
> > > this is truly just moving the mobile UI forward.

> > > Yes, most of the issues I saw are addressed in master now. New Android
> > > APKs have been uploaded for testing. Those of you with access to an
> > > Android device: seriously, check this out.
> >
> > I took the bait, and installed the latest apk (4.5.2.315) from the daily
> > download page on my Galaxy S6 and had a play.  It really is looking
great.

> Thanks!
>
> > I did come across a few bugs you may or may not be aware of yet:
> >
> > When loading dives from the cloud file, existing dives are duplicated in
> > the dive list (see attached screenshot), but after closing the app and
> > re-opening, the list is as it should be.
>
> That's weird, haven't seen it before. What I do notice is that after
setting
> up a fresh account and downloading the dives, the startpage doesn't
disappear
> (which suggests that no dives are in the model). We'll have to look into
it.

> > I managed to crash the app by:
> > (1) selecting a dive that didn't already have 'suit' data
> > (2) tapping on the 'suit' entry to go into edit mode
> > (3) hitting back to exit edit mode (without adding anything)
> > (4) hitting back to return to dive list
> > (5) selecting another dive in the list
> > (6) crash
>
> Wonderful. Being able to reproduce a crash goes a long way to fixing it.
> Having the exact steps to reproduce it is really useful.
>
> > The drawer (is that what it's called?) button at the base of the screen
is
> > shown as a black square over a circle - see screenshot.
> >
> > The GPS entry in the menu on the left of screen (when displayed) also
has a
> > black square, where presumably an icon should be.
>
> Both should be fixed in latest master. Not sure if Dirk has gotten around
> updating the APK yet.
>
> > As Dirk mentioned:
> > It would be nice if the startup were faster
>
> Yes, we discussed this briefly yesterday:
> - it seems that there's some webservice stuff going on before any UI is
shown
> (I'm getting traces of SSL communication)
> - same for location services, initializing the location service can take
a few
> seconds, so we need to make sure that doesn't happen in the background
and the
> user doesn't have to wait for it
>
> There's also some room for optimization in the QML bits, but the above two
> seem the main offenders (if my armchair analysis is right, of course).
>
> > Sizing the displayed profile is ad-hoc (sometimes rotating the screen,
then

> Not sure what you mean here, could you explain better?

I'll send an email with a few more screen shots, not copying in the list to
avoid clogging everybody's inbox with attachments.

On further playing around it appears that on opening selecting a dive
(except for the first time), the profile displayed is actually for the the
previous dive.  When I rotate the screen, then back, the profile is now for
the current dive. Hide profile the unhide also seems to refresh to show the
current dive.

Sometimes the profile line just isn't shown at all, but temperature and gas
switches are.

Sometimes not all the dive is shown (cropped in horizontal axis).

> > rotating back seems to get the sizing right, but not always).
> >
> > I didn't test manually adding a dive or the location service.
>
> /me neither.
>
> Your dive profiles are funny, everything either at max 5m or beyond 40m.
:D

Hehe yes, in Melbourne (Australia) we have some great shallow pier dives,
and really nice deeper wrecks.  There are also really good reef and wall
dives in 15-25m, but if I'm paying to go out on a boat after a 1.5hr drive,
mostly I'll go deeper.

The 13 minute dive was a test to see if that pier was worth diving.  There
was actually quite a bit of life, but visibility was so bad I couldn't see
my backlit dive computer with my arm outstretched.

> Again, thanks for testing, feedback is very welcome.

Thanks for your work on the app