Running latest master - problems in various OS's

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 12:54:02 PDT 2015

On 1 October 2015 at 22:08, Pedro Neves <nevesdiver at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I've successfully build subsurface from master on Kubuntu 15.10 (beta), on
> Debian SID and on KaOS.
> However, when I try to execute the subsurface.desktop file, I get the
> following message:
>

> KDEInit could not launch 'subsurface':
>
> Could not open library '/usr/lib/libkdeinit5_subsurface'.
>
> Cannot load library /usr/lib/libkdeinit5_subsurface:
> (/usr/lib/libkdeinit5_subsurface.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
> file or directory)
>
> Any hints?

googling about this error shows a lot of results, so i don't think
this is Subsurface specific.
and i don't think we maintain a /usr/lib/libkdeinit5_subsurface.so
file, of sorts.

what if you havigate to the executable location and just do a:
./subsurface

http://api.kde.org/frameworks-api/frameworks5-apidocs/kinit/html/index.html

^ this page says that KDEInit is used for startup performance reasons,
so there should be a way to start your apps without it.
why the desktop icon calls it is a valid question...

as i side note, i'm not familiar with KDEInit, but i find this
business of maintaining a /usr/lib module/shared library (assuming
some sort of a stepping stone for the initialiser) for some random
installed user application (e.g. Subsurface)  - quite obscure, even
with performance goals.

lubomir