Almost Beta 2 Cloud Storage fails

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 05:46:13 PDT 2015

On 2 October 2015 at 02:53, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 01, 2015 at 10:18:09PM +1000, Rick Walsh wrote:
> > Hi,
> > >
> > > Cloud storage failing on Fedora on my laptop still has me confused.
> But
> > running latest master (cbf02ac) with -v -v, I get the messages that might
> > provide some clue.
> >
> > git storage: accessing
> > https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org//git/rickmwalsh@gmail.com
> > git storage: update local repo
> > sync with remote
> >
> https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org//git/rickmwalsh@gmail.com[rickmwalsh@gmail.com]
> > delete proxy setting
>
> So you are not behind a proxy
>
> > Cloud storage: checking connection to cloud server
> > QIODevice::read (QNetworkReplyHttpImpl): device not open
> > Cloud storage: unable to connect to cloud server
>
> Yet it can't connect to the cloud server.
>
> > git storage: do git save
>
> So it just stores locally.
>
> > Googling the error message 'QIODevice::read (QNetworkReplyHttpImpl):
> device
> > not open' took me to this bug report
> > https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-47654
> > https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/123574/
> >
> > To be honest, I have no idea what it means, but it's the same error
> > message.  It says a fix has been applied for qt 5.5.1, but that isn't in
> > the Fedora repositories, and I'm not in the mood for building qt myself.
> > Does anyone think it looks related, and the fix might work?  Even better,
> > could there be a workaround using qt 5.5.0 (or lower).
>
> I'll defer to Thiago on that one. I get that error message as well quite
> frequently, but things still work.

I now doubt this bug is the cause of cloud storage not working for me.  At
a loss as to what is causing the problem, I tried playing around trying to
find a fix.  I created a new user, and built (with build.sh) and ran
Subsurface as the new user.  Cloud storage works.  Using that build as my
normal user (changing permissions to make it work), Subsurface doesn't
work.  I tried randomly deleting config files from my normal user account,
but can't work out what is causing the problem.  I ended up deleting ~/.*,
but still cloud storage won't work as my normal user.

Both user accounts are members of wheel, dialout, and username group.

Any idea what's going on?  If not, this might have to be put down to 'Rick
messed up his system in some strange way', and forget about the problem
until/unless someone else reports something similar.  I can copy my files
to the new home dir, and nuke my old user account.

Cheers,

Rick