Beta 3 Testing

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 02:18:08 PDT 2015

On 5 October 2015 at 10:16, John Smith <noseygit at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> > I had done an uninstall prior to installing but some of the logs were
>> > kept from the last installation and loaded at startup.
>>
>> Yes, we intentionally keep settings and data files. Do you think that's a
>> mistake?
>>
> Ater a uninstall I would have expected a clean installation with no
> previous fles - maybe as part of the uninstall routine you could change the
> names to .old or put them in a different location

what we do is something that a lot of Windows software does...
it installs in a program directory but it keeps some of it
files/settings on the user computer on uninstall without telling.
that's not optimal, but like i said, 95% of the Windows software does the same.

what we could do is add the uninstall options to remove the left overs:

- user directory
moving files to .old becomes difficult to maintain.
we should allow deleting the whole directory e.g.:
C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Subsurface

- cloud storage cache directory
C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Local\Subsurface
currently this is in a separate path from the other user directory
which makes no sense. we should use the same path and add
sub-directory called git-cache.

both paths can be stored in the registry from where NSIS would know
what to delete.

- registry
this can be nuked completely as the last step. i really like software
that bothers exposing a checkbox for that.
but i don't really know how to do checkboxes in NSIS, yet.

lubomir