Beta 3 Testing

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Oct 5 03:20:41 PDT 2015

On Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 07:16:39AM +0000, John Smith wrote:

> > > Deleted the logs and used the reset all settings button in preferences. Most of the settings went back to default except -
> > >
> > > 1. Web Server Service ID was kept
> >
> > The userid can also be saved in your data file. I don't remember off the
> > top of my head why we did this - I know there seemed to be a good reason
> > for it at the time. So if you are opening a data file that may re-populate
> > that user id.
>
> Tried starting  a new log and then hitting reset and it still keeps the
> web server ID. Cant see how you would automatically delete it

Given how painful this ID is to enter, I'm not sure this is terrible, but
admittedly it's not consistent. I'll try to figure out what's happening
there.

> > > 2. Font went to a strange setting - not the same as the install font
> >
> > Interesting. Which font did you get? On Windows 7 you should get Segoe UI
> > as font (which is the recommended font to use for those OSs). I just
> > realize that the code to do this is broken for Windows 10 which will go
> > back to Calibri. Arg.
>
> Looking again at this machine ( I am also running W10 on another), this
> one resets to MS SHELL and the point size goes to Zero which looks like
> about 12. My W10 also goes to MS SHELL at point size Zero

What the heck? That is not a font that we set. OK, more debugging needed.

> > > Imported 19 dives from Divelogs.de ok.
> > >
> > > Loaded 13 dives from Suunto D4i via USB ok.
> > >
> > > The dive number seems to be based on order loaded rather than date - I personnally would prefer the numbering to reflect the date.
> >
> > Yes, that would make more sense. But I'm somewhat surprised by that. Our
> > code does first sort the dive table and then try to number the dives.
> > Look at process_dives() in divelist.c.
> >
> > My divecomputers seem to give the dives to me in the right order so I
> > can't quite reproduce this here. So of you start with an empty dive file
> > and load the 13 dives from your D4i they are not numbered in chronological
> > order? Or is this an issue because you first imported 19 dives from
> > Divelogs.de and got numbers from there? But even then, it should only
> > create numbers for the dives loaded from the Suunto if they are ALL newer
> > than the ones you got from Divelogs.de. So I guess I'm a bit confused here
> > as to what exactly is happening.
>
> I was doing this late last night instead of sleeping.....

Oh, just like I was answering you at 3:30am...

> What has actually happened is that the Divelog entries are labeled 1-19
> and the the dive computer entries are labeled 1-13 - which is even more
> confusing. I think its because there was a later dive in the divelog.de
> file than on the computer. Maybe a resort and re-numbe might be needed
> after importing from external source?

So if the dive computer gives us dive numbers, we take them and don't
override them. I think for post 4.5 we should change that because that's
just bogus. But too late to change now. I cannot imagine a scenario where
I have numbered my dives in Subsurface, download dives from a dive
computer and then want the dive numbers that the dive computer gave us.
Yes, if there are no dives in the dive file this might make sense, but
other than that? I don't think so.

> > > Loaded CCR dive using IMPORT LOG FILE.  Default location again is "C:\Program Files\Subsurface". File loaded ok but
> > > had zero as the dive number.
> >
> > See above, we only number the dives if they are all newer than the
> > existing dives. Was that the case here?
>
> No, there was a later dive that was the issue. Deleted that and it worked this time,
>
> > > Restarted but this time getting data from cloud. If you dont have a passowrd in the network settings, it doesnt give you an error message, it just stops.
> >
> > It does for you? I get a red error message at the bottom of the Subsurface
> > window asking me to configure user name and password.
>
> I only get that message when I open the cloud after the program starts. If I have cloud as default, it just  stops dead without any indication.

Interesting. Another thing to fix.

> > > Tried changing cylinder data but couldnt delete the first entry in table - ended up doing a manual gas change at T=0  to allow system to calculate SAC. When adding cylinders, the O2 % was different each dive.
> >
> > So you cannot delete a cylinder that's in use. Which in general is the
> > first cylinder in the table unless the dive computer explicitly tells us
> > that another one is in use.
> >
> > The rest of the sentence above I don't quite understand. "manual gas
> > change at T=0 to allow system to calculate SAC" - is the dive computer
> > reporting incorrect cylinders and pressure data? Can you explain a bit
> > more what's going wrong there?
>
> I think I'll go for user error on this. rather than change the settings
> on the existing cylinder I add another that is correct for that dive. As
> you explained , subsurface then uses the first entry as master - whch
> explains the other issues.
>
> > And that last sentence. "When adding cylinders, the O2% was different each
> > dive" -- when I add a cylinder here, the O2% always defaults to nothing
> > (which means 21% or air). Am I misunderstanding what you are trying to do?
>
> When I added a cylinder yesterday, it defaulted to 32% in once case and 27% in another.

Can you create a screen cast for that? If I add cylinders they are always
completely empty, so a fixed O2 value of 21 or air...

Thanks