freedive mode

Jef Driesen jef at libdivecomputer.org
Mon Oct 5 06:19:31 PDT 2015

(moved the discussion to the developer mailinglist)

On 2015-10-03 13:14, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 03, 2015 at 12:20:35AM -0700, Giorgio Marzano wrote:
>> It could be another (and IMO better) way to handle freedive sessions.
>> Libdivecomputer could  return a list of single dives instead of
>> merging
>> them and they will be automagically added in a single trip. Which part
>> of
>> the SW is in charge to set the "create_new_trip" member of the devdata
>> structure?
>
> Again, libdivecomputer questions are best answered by Jef. I don't know
> how he wants to handle this in the end.

Libdivecomputer was never really designed to support the concept of a
(free)dive session containing multiple (free)dives. So the api is
entirely build around single dives. So it's no surprise it's kind of
difficult to represent such dives.

Right now, the only info that is lost by generating a single profile
are: the min/max temperature and maximum ascent/descent speeds of the
subdives. That's the only info that's present in the subdive header. The
ascent/descent speed is probably the least important one, because they
can easily be re-calculated from the depth samples. I know there can be
some difference, but it's probably going to be pretty close with a 1
second interval. The min/max temperature are a bit more problematic. It
would have been more interesting to have a full temperature profile, but
that's not the case. We only get the min/max value for each subdive, and
again for the entire session.

To be honest, I don't have a good solution at hand. Splitting the
profile in the application may not be such a bad option after all?

Jef