Testing beta 3

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Oct 5 14:12:47 PDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 12:08:54AM +0300, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:

> > Faulting application name: subsurface.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp:
> > 0x56114c6e
> > Faulting module name: msvcrt.dll, version: 7.0.10240.16384, time stamp:
> > 0x559f3e0e
> > Exception code: 0xc0000005
> > Fault offset: 0x00088fec
> > Faulting process id: 0xe18
> > Faulting application start time: 0x01d0ffadd569a93f
> > Faulting application path: C:\Program Files
> > (x86)\Subsurface\subsurface.exe
> > Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\msvcrt.dll
> > Report Id: 44baed00-550b-4712-ace1-00da3991e4c4
> > Faulting package full name:
> > Faulting package-relative application ID:
> >
> > - why is the version 0.0.0.0 ?
>
> i have no idea.
>
> > - what information does this give me?
> >

> it says that something is causing a SIGSEGV in the standard C library.
> if i can reproduce it without debug symbols i would start setting
> breakpoints and disassembling to obtain a meaningful backtrace.
> if i have debug symbols tools like GDB makes this easy.
>
> > That's so entirely not helpful, Microsoft...
> >

> i agree. :-(

That's why the Beta is 80MB instead of the usual 64MB... it's built with
Debug symbols :-)
So I was able to run this under the debugger and immediately saw what was
wrong.

> mind that my suggestion about the semi-release-debug builds with
> external symbols is still viable as you will have debug symbols for
> the release builds that reach the users.

I know. My #1 problem is time.

I'm trying to fix all the bugs, respond to the reports, deal with the
builds, deal with the infrastructure, review patches... I just don't
scale.