updates towards 4.5

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Oct 7 01:55:47 PDT 2015

The last few days have been very exciting to me; quite a few annoying bugs
were fixed, with some of these fixes coming from new contributors.

As has been the pattern before, fewer and fewer people are trying each
consecutive beta so I think we are approaching the point of diminishing
returns. So what are we waiting for?

- documentation: Willem is traveling and will take a few more days to
  finish things off and given how critical documentation is for the end
  users I'll happily wait for him and give us more time to maybe squish a
  bug here and there.

- Qt 5.5.1: it will be released any day now (and that has been the case
  for several weeks). In the end I'll build against a late RC if I have
  to, but hopefully Thiago will bring news from the Qt conference he's
  attending this week to give us a better idea.

Translations are looking good. Obviously Willem's changes will trigger
subsequent changes to the translated manuals. Sadly, the Russian
translation of the manual hasn't been updated at all - Sergey, should we
drop this? I know this is an insane amount of work...

The translations of the application continue to progress. Apparently Guido
found at least one string that we forgot but overall we're in great shape.

Of the popular (based on my statistics) languages Chinese and Dutch
translations are still lacking a bit and (to a lesser degree, just a
few strings missing) Swedish.

And of course I need to work on the website which is in a rather pityful
state. I finally finished the complete switch to https this week, but the
content is seriously embarassing. A friend who is a professional writer
offered to help me a bit with getting at least the landing page into
better shape. I'll do new screenshots for that as well.

But those of you who wonder what they could do to help... read the web
site, find issues and inconsistencies, help add more entries to the FAQ.

And of course, test Subsurface. Keep testing. And then test some more.

Thanks