Bug report

Guido Lerch guido.lerch at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 09:14:52 PDT 2015

> [...]
> >
> > For example:
> > - I am getting messages that the build is done in the source tree and
> that
> > that is not recommended, however build.sh does build in the source tree
> > itself ...
>
> No it doesn't and no you really shouldn't build in the source tree.
>
> build.sh does this:
>
> cd $SRC/subsurface
> mkdir -p build
> cd build
> export CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=$INSTALL_ROOT/lib/cmake
> cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug .. \
>         -DLIBGIT2_INCLUDE_DIR=$INSTALL_ROOT/include \
>         -DLIBGIT2_LIBRARIES=$INSTALL_ROOT/lib/libgit2.$SH_LIB_EXT \
>         -DLIBDIVECOMPUTER_INCLUDE_DIR=$INSTALL_ROOT/include \
>         -DLIBDIVECOMPUTER_LIBRARIES=$INSTALL_ROOT/lib/libdivecomputer.a \
>         -DMARBLE_INCLUDE_DIR=$INSTALL_ROOT/include \
>
> -DMARBLE_LIBRARIES=$INSTALL_ROOT/lib/libssrfmarblewidget.$SH_LIB_EXT \
>         -DNO_PRINTING=OFF \
>         -DUSE_LIBGIT23_API=1
>
> if [ $PLATFORM = Darwin ] ; then
>         rm -rf Subsurface.app
> fi
>
> LIBRARY_PATH=$INSTALL_ROOT/lib make -j4
>
> if [ $PLATFORM = Darwin ] ; then
>         LIBRARY_PATH=$INSTALL_ROOT/lib make install
> fi
>
> it creates subsurface/build and then cds into that directory and calls
> cmake pointing to the sources in the parent directory.
>
> And on Darwin (i.e., Mac) it always runs make install so it builds a
> (mostly) valid bundle.
>
> > - Trying to move the build location gives issues as the makefiles and the
> > cmake stuff is not in the new location ...
>
> You can easily build in a different directory. Just do a similar
> invocation of cmake that references the source directory
>
> > As said I am new and somehow hesitant to ask those questions as the
> cracks
> > might think I am a complete dummy ...
>
> We all started there somewhere (well, OK, Linus didn't, he was always
> brilliant). A community can't grow and thrive if it can't bring in new
> people and make them feel comfortable.
>
> Keep asking. As long as you listen and try, we'll keep answering :-)
> And just to avoid email based misunderstanding as even with a smiley it's
> often unclear what I mean... you are doing great. You are extremely
> receptive to feedback and suggestions. We're happy to have you here.
> And I have great hope that once you are more comfortable you will help us
> get our automated testing to be much more useful.
>
> > So far I always got stuff to work but I am not confident at all that
> > everything is setup 100% correctly, hence I might
> > see weird behaviour like marble woking one pull but not at the next or
> > printing works with Beta-3 but not when building
> > with the last master.
>
> Yes, building in the sources is something I should simply prohibit. Things
> simply are set up for out of tree build and I don't think anyone ever
> tests in tree builds (except, apparently, you). So just don't do this.

This is what I was trying to say, I did not change anything to anything
outside
the Uemis code and now the translations. It builds in the source tree and I
have
no clue why. The /build folder is there but it is empty.
Again, I am not the one that builds in the source tree ... "it" does it.
I keep on investigating ...

--
Best regards,
Guido