User manual: reverse geo-lookup and dive site specification

Tomaz Canabrava tcanabrava at kde.org
Thu Oct 8 10:32:20 PDT 2015

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 2:27 PM, Willem Ferguson <
willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:

> Three issues:
>
> Firstly:
> I add a dive manually, type in the location text box a town like Durban.
> Then I say Apply Changes.
> Then I hit the globe on the right of the Coordinates text box. Dive
> location panel opens.
>
> Given the existing dive site of Durban, then I try a reverse lookup by
> again hitting the globe  button:
> and I get:
>
> no reverse geo lookup; geonames returned
>  "{"geonames":[]}"
> no reverse geo lookup; geonames returned
>  "{"geonames":[]}"
>
> Setting the dive site id on the dive: 4245881241
> no reverse geo lookup; geonames returned
>  "{"geonames":[]}"
> no reverse geo lookup; geonames returned
>  "{"geonames":[]}"
>
> In addition, it gives a red message bar at the bottom of the screen hat
> says:
>
> Geonames.orgt did not supply reverse lookup information.
>
> I see geonames.org in my browser and the towns or cities (e.g. Durban) I
> use are listed on geonames.org.
>
> I am at a loss about what to do or write for the manual.

this didn't worked on my end - but I know it worked on dirk's, so I'll wait
for him to get out of the plane.

> Secondly:
> When I manually add a dive and type a town name, several similar-looking
> town names are listed. I select one by double-clicking on the appropriate
> option in the dropdown list of town names. BUT: what is the function of the
> black button with the +? In theory, if I single-click on it, it should
> insert the appropriate town name in the dive site text box. But this does
> not work. A double click is required. In addition, sometimes, more than one
> option has a + button on the right. How is the interface supposed to
> function? See attached image.

the single-click or double-click are OS dependant (it depends on 'select'
behavior of your os. if it has select on single click, then single click is
used, if it uses select on double click, then double click is used. )

two options can have the '+' button:
- The current text that you are writting
- The first dive site that starts with the same text that you are writting

If the current text that you are writting is the same as the first dive
site name, then only one '+' appears.

> Thirdly:
> If I add a dive manually, add a dive site, Apply this information, then
> hit the globe button to open the dive site dialogue, there is a text box
> with Dive sites on same coordinates. But this list of dive sites lists just
> about all the dive sites I have dived at. I know that coordinates have not
> been provided yet, and how can Subsurface know which sites are close to
> Durban without knowing Durban's coordinates? My feeling is that this text
> box should be empty until coordinates have been provided.

The search is based on the dive site name and/or coordinates.