User manual: reverse geo-lookup and dive site specification

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Oct 9 07:11:32 PDT 2015

> On Oct 9, 2015, at 12:19 AM, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
>
> On 09/10/2015 01:50, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> Why the heck is this going to the user forum?
>> This absolutely is NOT stuff we should discuss on the user forum.
>> /D
> As far as I am aware this correspondence was never addressed to the user forum.
> It was addressed only to subsurface at subsurface-divelog.com <mailto:subsurface at subsurface-divelog.com>

My apologies. I blame my lack of sleep. Yes I noticed this a little later and sent you
an apology.

Subsurface uses the subsurface-divelog.org <http://subsurface-divelog.org/> domain. At some point I also purchased
the .com domain but apparently I'm getting the headers wrong when people send to
that domain instead. When I saw my email automation fail after responding to you
I figured that the mail wasn't to the devel list and so foolishly assumed it had been
sent to the user forum without double checking. Again, my apologies. My mistake.

> AHHHH. No, that's not what we do just yet.
> So far all we do is the opposite direction (hence "reverese").
> If you HAVE a GPS location, then clicking on the globe will give you
> country / town / (and often, but not always) body of water.
>
> Ferguson is a bit slow to understand. Apologies for unnecessary discourse.

Not at all - the goal is to make this clear and useful to our end users. And if
people on the developer mailing list don't understand it, then it's extra important
to have this well documented in the user manual.

>  On 09/10/2015 01:50, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> Typing in a name and selecting it (with mouse or keyboard - I don't
> understand why you need to double click) gets you a new dive site, but
> some information of the current dive site are retained - the explanation
> in each of the options should be fairly straight forward.
>
> I was concerned that the + button has no function. But I now realise it is
> *not* a clickable button at all but only an indicator. Problem solved.

Good

> That match is by name, not by distance. I'm a bit confused what you are
> doing, frankly.
>

> See the attached image. The list at the bottom has no relation to the dive site. My only point was that this is probably not helpful at all and extremely confusing to the general user. This is
> compounded by the heading that says: Dive sites at same coordinates. I would expect
> that this list would only include other previous dive sites at Durban??

Oh, Tomaz... do we show all dives that have no coordinates as all to be at the same
coordinates? That would be a mistake... let's fix that before the release. I just spent
a few minutes staring at the code but it's not entirely clear to me where we do that
comparison... but I will still claim lack of sleep (I arrived back from Europe yesterday
and am feeling a bit out of it this morning... -ENOTENOUGHCOFFEE

Thanks