Retina screen support

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Oct 9 11:16:48 PDT 2015

On Fri, Oct 09, 2015 at 10:50:01AM -0700, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> Moving this to the developer mailing list...
>
> On Fri, Oct 09, 2015 at 10:14:48AM +0200, Robert Helling wrote:
> > > On 09.10.2015, at 08:13, Antoine Châlons <antoine.chalons at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Here's how I define "kind of ugly", on the attached screen shot the texts on Subsurface are blurry, to compare I put the GitHub desktop app.
> > > Do you see the difference?
> > > My "kind of ugly" comment was not that I don't like the icons or the layout, it's because it's all quite blurry.
> >

> > I don’t have a retina display myself, so I cannot check this. But a bit off googling produced two resolutions:
> >
> > According to http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/mbp-retina-blurry-text/ <http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/mbp-retina-blurry-text/> you might try what is written there as “Resolving resolution for Native Apps”, i.e. in Finder right click on the subsurface icon and open the info and uncheck “Open in low resolution”.
> >
> > Alternatively, we could modify the Subsurface.app/Contents/Info.plist to contain
> >
> >         <key>NSHighResolutionCapable</key>
> >         <true/>
> >
> > as suggested on https://trac.macports.org/ticket/36410 <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/36410> . I don’t know enough about mac packaging, so I do not include a patch for this. I tried to insert this entry in packaging/macosx/Info.plist.in but this does not end up int the file mentioned above. That file seems to be there from GTK times…
>
> It is. The plist is now created on the fly.
>
> > Could somebody with access to a retina display test this?
>
> I did and it makes no difference. The "Open in Low Resolution" option is
> still checked and grayed out...
>
> This will require more research I'm afraid :-(

And the interesting answer is... you need to copy or move the application
after you made that change. MacOS apparently cashes the state of this
property once you first opened an app. So editing the plist is not enough.
After you edit it you need to move the app to a different location, then
it suddenly works (and yes, the app looks much better - who knew!)

Thanks for figuring this out (and before 4.5 !!!).

I'll come up with a way to set this in the plist so that the official
binaries show the correct behavior