Is anyone working on an iOS app?

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Oct 10 05:57:32 PDT 2015

> On Oct 10, 2015, at 2:27 AM, Guido Lerch <guido.lerch at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If you guys agree I submit this as my app, not use any ssrf code and just read from the cloud storage.
>
> V1 would only be dive details, no profile, hence this is reading some stuff and displaying.

So I have talked to quite a few people about this and while the FSF seems to have
come out that the iTunes store is incompatible with the GPL, there are quite a few
apps in there that are GPL based and I found a couple that explained their rationale
why they thought this was acceptable.

My plan had been to get the Android app to a reasonable state and then bring
the discussion to the mailing list. I'm inclined to say that if "the vast majority of
the contributors" agree that they can live with the FSF's objections (because
frankly, I find them rather silly), then we should add the necessary glue layer
to port Subsurface-mobile to IOS. The nice thing about the way we are building
Subsurface-mobile (with a QML UI) is that in theory this should be fairly simple.

The big challenges would be the BT / FTDI download and features like that,
but the core of the app should port quite easily.

So if you would like to investigate that, I would suggest that route instead
of starting from scratch.

/D