user manual: text for reverese lookup

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Oct 11 11:54:21 PDT 2015

I'm adding the mailing list to this conversation in hopes that others can play with this as well
so we can figure out if this is a bigger problem...

> On Oct 11, 2015, at 11:44 AM, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
>
> On 11/10/2015 20:22, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>>
>> I have not managed to get reverse lookup working yet, but I am continuing
>> with experiments to get it working.
>> Let me know if I can help you in any way.
>>
>> This ONLY works with dive sites that have GPS data. Which reminds me that
>> I still need to disable the button for sites that don't have GPS data...
>>

> What do you mean with "GPS data"? ONLY from the Subsurface companion and not for coordinates provided by hand?

When you are on the dive site management page in Subsurface, there need to be GPS coordinates.
It does not matter where they come from, whether they are from the web service / companion app,
manually entered or entered via the Marble map makes no difference. But you need to have GPS
coordinates for a dive site in order for reverse lookup to work.

> The way I currently do this is as follows:
> Create a manually-added dive.
> Do not specify locality name.
> save other Notes panel dive data with Accept changes
> Edit dive site panel
> Provide coordinates
> Hit globe button to do reverse lookup (presumably giving site name in dive site name text box).

The name doesn't play into this at all. It's just the GPS coordinates.
I assume the site is shown correctly on the map?
What happens if you first accept the changes (so that the coordinates are stored), then go back to the dive site panel and hit the button?

It is possible that for some odd reason the web service doesn't accept requests from South Africa. Unlikely, but possible.

> I use  coordinates I obtain from geonames.org, so it should be able to find the place name.

Well, if you can use geonames.org from a browser than the reverse lookup should work, too.
I'm really puzzled what's going wrong there. More things we need to debug :-)