website translation

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Oct 11 12:27:56 PDT 2015

We used to have a mailing list just for people working on the website, but I'm sending this to the whole list in case more people want to get involved.

One thing that would be great to get done before a) the 4.5 release and b) the switch to the new website is to get the translations back in sync with the text in English.

Since things have changed quite a bit given that I switched to a professional theme and a different translation plugin, I think it would be good if everyone volunteering to do translations for the website would try to log in, figure out how things work and check back with me so I can update the subsurface-website email list. If you would like to translate the website to a language that we don't support, yet, be my guest and let me know. I'll be happy to add things.

Right now everything is in a bit of a flux, so don't waste your time translating anything with the exception of the landing page.

Here are the quick (likely insufficient) instructions

- log in
- go to "Pages" in the sidebar on the left
- pick "Subsurface - Front Page"
- in the right sidebar click on the translation language you want to edit
- now in the center you'll see the new way page components are assembled:

For each of the inner blogs click on the three horizontal bars to edit its content.
It's a few more clicks than before, but a LOT less mess and a lot easier to deal with. I populated the landing page with the English text for each translation. You can use the visual editor and should be able to replace the English text in place with the translated text.

The save your changes and then update the page (yes, it's multiple steps - it sounds odd but it makes sense once you use it).
One warning, for the Slider (second from the top below the green Post Title) there are sub elements (for each of the four slides) where you also need to click on the three horizontal lines and translate in there.
Again, this all sounds a lot more complicated than it is - at least to me this seems a massive improvement, but I'm of course interested to hear what others think.

so please, let me know if you'll be working on translations for the website.