Is anyone working on an iOS app?

Anton Lundin glance at acc.umu.se
Mon Oct 12 02:24:24 PDT 2015

On 10 October, 2015 - Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> > On Oct 10, 2015, at 2:27 AM, Guido Lerch <guido.lerch at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > If you guys agree I submit this as my app, not use any ssrf code and just read from the cloud storage.
> >
> > V1 would only be dive details, no profile, hence this is reading some stuff and displaying.
>
> So I have talked to quite a few people about this and while the FSF seems to have
> come out that the iTunes store is incompatible with the GPL, there are quite a few
> apps in there that are GPL based and I found a couple that explained their rationale
> why they thought this was acceptable.
>
> My plan had been to get the Android app to a reasonable state and then bring
> the discussion to the mailing list. I'm inclined to say that if "the vast majority of
> the contributors" agree that they can live with the FSF's objections (because
> frankly, I find them rather silly), then we should add the necessary glue layer
> to port Subsurface-mobile to IOS. The nice thing about the way we are building
> Subsurface-mobile (with a QML UI) is that in theory this should be fairly simple.
>
> The big challenges would be the BT / FTDI download and features like that,
> but the core of the app should port quite easily.

A quick browse on http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtbluetooth-index.html , it says
that iOS is supported, so the BT code "should" work.

The ftdi code is probably a no-go, but we could probably live with that.

> So if you would like to investigate that, I would suggest that route instead
> of starting from scratch.

I think building a separate iOS app in parity with what we plan to
support on android is a insurmountable task.

//Anton

--
Anton Lundin	+46702-161604