Swiss Translations

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Oct 12 09:51:20 PDT 2015

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 02:03:28PM +0200, Martin Gysel wrote:
> Hi Guido
>
> Am 12.10.2015 um 11:00 schrieb Guido Lerch:
> > Hi Dirk,
> > I translated over 150 string for Swiss, last master does not contain those.
> > Any reason why?
> > I still have about 140 more to do though.
>
> I first started the swiss translations but at the moment lack some time
> do do any subsurface related work. My intension was to have the Swiss
> translation close to the German one but without 'ß' and without some
> words which sound very strange for me as a Swiss like
> 'Tauchgruppenleiter' (where I mostly used the English version which is,
> according to my experience well used by Swiss divers). To ease
> maintenance I always downloaded the latest Swiss and German version and
> merged them in a merge tool like kdiff3. Where needed I could easily
> modify the translation.
> I still hope I have some 30min spare to help you before the big release :)

One thing that I could do is fill all the missing strings with the strings
from German (without overwriting the existing Swiss German strings).
This creates a fairly complete translation, but the downside is that you
can no longer look for "unfinished" translations to easily figure out what
to work on, instead you have to go through the string to find the ones you
don't like and replace them with better translations for the Swiss
audience.

Would that be useful? Or would that make it harder?