new website - or "jet lag is good"

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Oct 12 10:14:50 PDT 2015

On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 09:33:22PM +0200, Robert C. Helling wrote:

> >  The reality is that a lot of people consume the web on iPads and not
> >  on desktops and that changes some of the underlying ideas of what you
> >  can show and how you should show it. Less visual clutter is the main
> >  goal here...
>
> I just asked my wife (who has an advertising background) to have a look
> at the new page.
>
> Her main comment was that she would want some more visual information on
> „is this for me“ on the landing page. The widget with the four slides is
> nice but does not convey a lot of information and the text below she
> says she would not look at at a first go. She suggested to add a few
> more screen shots where the first time visitor gets an idea on what it’s
> all about. Show a look at the log and profile, show a photo of a dive
> computer (or several for that matter) connected to a laptop about to
> download, maybe show the planner. She wants a visual impression before
> having to download and install something, or click to the manual and
> scroll down for several pages. The video tutorial would also be good, if
> it were about the latest version and did not start with how to install
> or build it from the command line („that says very loud: Not for me“ she
> says). Just something that invites the person that happens to come
> across that page (due to a link or recommendation).

I tried to do at least some of what your wife suggests (and thanks for
relaying that feedback, that's really helpful).

The planner is already shown in the slider (the four pictures sliding
across the screen). A picture with dive computers downloading... I tried
this before and it looks meaningless - I never could create a pictue that
actually conveyed anything but clutter and confusion.

So I hope what we have now is better. It's pretty much what I want to go
with for the website launch. Now I need to find time to clean up more of
the old posts and the translators need to find the time and energy to make
at least the landing page work well across our supported languages.

Thanks, everyone