Is anyone working on an iOS app?

Guido Lerch guido.lerch at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 10:32:19 PDT 2015

Hi Dirk

I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.
I just asked and volunteered to spend time on this.
More below

Regards,
Guido
+41 79 3217739

> Am 12.10.2015 um 19:05 schrieb Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org>:
>
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 01:56:49PM +0300, Miika Turkia wrote:
>>> Does that mean that the dives I imported from my computer will never make it into the iOS app? It sounds like as the workflow is
>>> Log in iOS with gps
>>> Sync with ssrf
>>> Add meta data
>>
>> This is what we currently have. The iOS app only logs the GPS data and
>> that is it.
>>
>>> Sync back
>>
>> This is currently not possible and it was never intended to occur with
>> the existing iOS app.
>>
>>> Does not make sense to me at all and is not user friendly.
>>
>> Well, it depends. The current app is designed to only collect the GPS
>> information and nothing more. For that it is easy enough to use, but
>> it seems that most of the people are actually expecting more from it
>> and thus the concept is hard to grasp.
>
> Yes - I learned that this amazingly useful app that I use on every single
> dive trip appears to make no sense to a lot of people who simply have
> convinced themselves that the app SHOULD be doing something else and then
> when I try to explain the really cool thing that it does they don't even
> listen and all they think is "but it doesn't do the thing that I WANT -
> that's STUPID"... :-)
I used it myself and it is useful but also misleading for someone that doesn't have all the details yet.

>>> Apparently I don't understand this.. Hence will try to find the documentation and don't bother you guys any longer.
>>
>> Basically you should forget about the current iOS app for what you are
>> thinking. Current one only logs GPS data, it is not the app you are
>> thinking of :D
>
> Yes. Forget the COMPANION apps. We have a companion app for Android, we
> have one for IOS. Neither are the ones that you are looking for.
>
>> We already have a prototype for Android of a mobile app that is able
>> to sync the dives and display them on a phone/tablet. And this is what
>> we are now discussing for iOS as well. If you want to take a look at
>> the Android app, there are emulators on Android SDK where you can run
>> the app.
>
> And that is the app we should use for IOS as well.
>
> The way this works is (roughly) like this:
>
> We run a big subset of the full Subsurface application on the mobile
> device including a QML based mobile UI. Qt/QML are supported both on
> Android and IOS.
>
> There's a little "glue" layer that integrates that native app into the
> mobile OS. And THAT is the first step of what you should do and it makes
> perfect sense to do that right now. Figure out how to create an IOS
> wrapper for a native Qt/QML app. Send patches to add this to master.
>
> For Android we have a build script that allows you to build all the
> dependencies using the android tool chain. My guess is we need this as
> well as the "wrapper" or "glue" around Subsurface to make it launch on
> IOS.
>
> I'd start reading here: http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/ios-support.html
>
> Did this make more sense and explain the direction I think this should be
> going in? If not, keep asking... I'd hate for you to waste time staring at
> the companion app and trying to figure out how to extend that to be what
> you want it to be and I'd hate for you to waste time developing a new UI
> when we already are working on a mobile UI in a framework that should
> allow us to reuse the vast majority of that work on IOS as well.
All makes sense. I would not have used the companion app btw, I would have started something from scratch.
Now as I got all this useful replies I am glad I had asked and not started already.

Using the android ground and the glue layer, would that not conflict with GPL?