Image management, bug fix

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Oct 13 10:43:48 PDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 07:10:19PM +0200, Guido Lerch wrote:

> > Yes. And you can test this locally as you can store to local git
> > repositories as well. And yes, the git storage is set up to store pictures
> > as part of the git storage. Exactly so that you could have them show up on
> > mobile devices and on different systems connected to cloud storage.
>
> Thanks for clarifying, I am still surprised that you want to allow GB of
> data being stored in your cloud.

I'm stupid. Or something. I'll go with stupid.

If this becomes an issue, if people really store GB of stuff, I can talk
to them. Or I can limit things. The whole idea of offering cloud storage
for free is frankly lunacy. If Subsurface becomes hugely successful and my
AWS charges go through the roof I'll think about what to do. Right now the
instance that cloud.subsurface-divelog.org runs on costs me something like
20 bucks a month. I'm willing to absorb that cost (just like all the other
cost - I seem to be whining a lot about it lately, come to think of).

> Nevertheless, we had some good discussions on how this should be done which
> will benefit the cloud approach as well.
> As of now the new patches, that I have only sent to Miika yet, to check for
> memory issues I am still introducing :-( ... do

:-)

> Copy images from their source to a local, predefined, location.
> If the user deletes an image from a dive, the code check's if the image
> is part of another one and if the picture is stored in the predefined
> location.
> If the two criteria are fulfilled the image will be deleted physically too.
>
> Via the preferences the user can switch the image management on and define
> the location.
>
> Would you be open to have the images being locally stored as well or only
> cloud. If locally
> as well, then using GIT ? (good learning for me anyway)

So there are three distinct scenarios to think about

a) user has an XML file. Then your approach with a local directory makes
sense
b) user uses local git. Things SHOULD work correctly already in that
pictures get stored there and remain there even if the directory they were
originally loaded from goes away
c) user uses remote git - in that case the pictures should end up both in
the local git cache and on the remote server

b) and c) definitely need more testing.

> What I want to play with next is to add a Context Menu to making deleting,
> selecting of images a little more user friendly.

Cool - this sounds useful.