Fwd: Re: Dive planner MG, TP and FC

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Wed Oct 14 06:26:52 PDT 2015

Ivan, Robert,

I think I understand the request.

On 14/10/2015 14:21, Ivan Wagner wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I was taking a look at the dive planner feature within subsurface and I
> see some useful features that could be added:
>
> - Minimum gas (based on a scenario of an out-of-gas event and and ascent
> respecting ascent rates, deep stops etc)

The planning takes into account all gas available and subtracts the
amounts required for gas sharing as well as a 'residual' amount that
needs to remain. If one requires 50 bar for buddy-sharing (calculated by
the planner automatically) and another 30 bar residual was requested on
the dive planner form, the minimum gas use at the end of the dive is
start-pressure minus 80 bar. So the concept of minimum gas required is
not really relevant here, at least for recreational dives.

> - Turn pressure based on gas rule such as all usable, half usable or
> rule of thirds

This is the gas pressure in the cylinder at the start of the ascent
phase? This is a meaningful request but would require another selection
to be made in the planner (gas turn rule). This is something that I use
all the time in dive planning.

> - Fractional consumption at depth with 5 minutes interval.

There is a continuous trace of the gas pressure throughout the dive and
the precise pressure can actually be read from the profile information
box (the moving black box on the profile panel). Would fractional gas
information really give one more useful insight?

> This is something I use on a daily basis not only for technical dives
> but also recreational dives.
>
> Could this be interesting for you? I could implement something.
>
> Let me know,
>
> ivan

Kind regards,
willem