Fwd: Re: Dive planner MG, TP and FC

Ivan Wagner ivan.wagner at tecinvent.ch
Wed Oct 14 07:12:49 PDT 2015

Hi Willem

thank you for sharing.

>> The planning takes into account all gas available and subtracts the
>> amounts required for gas sharing as well as a 'residual' amount that
>> needs to remain. If one requires 50 bar for buddy-sharing (calculated by
>> the planner automatically) and another 30 bar residual was requested on
>> the dive planner form, the minimum gas use at the end of the dive is
>> start-pressure minus 80 bar. So the concept of minimum gas required is
>> not really relevant here, at least for recreational dives.

Exactly... An example was missing... It's crucial for tech dives in my
opinion.

>> This is the gas pressure in the cylinder at the start of the ascent
>> phase? This is a meaningful request but would require another selection
>> to be made in the planner (gas turn rule). This is something that I use
>> all the time in dive planning.

No this is that gas pressure at the point you should return to the line.
Let's consider if that you have a MG of 100bar and start with your
cylinders with 200bar. It means that you can only use 50bar if you go
one way on a wreck as an example. Turn pressure would be that at 150bar
you should start going back to the ascent line. These are all pragmatic
approaches (which is really what counts underwater) in order to have an
idea of your plan without complicated calculations.

I think the best thing is to have a separate dialog for all this.

ivan