Dive planner MG, TP and FC

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Wed Oct 14 07:28:10 PDT 2015

On 14/10/2015 16:05, Robert Helling wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> On 14.10.2015, at 15:26, Willem Ferguson
>> <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
>> <mailto:willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za>> wrote:
>>
>> This is the gas pressure in the cylinder at the start of the ascent
>> phase? This is a meaningful request but would require another selection
>> to be made in the planner (gas turn rule). This is something that I use
>> all the time in dive planning.
>
> what would that mean for the planner? Except for recreational mode,
> the planner always starts the ascent at the end of the manually
> entered waypoints.  Would you want to say something like “go to 80m
> and then figure out the pressure at which you have to leave 80m so you
> and your buddy make it to the surface with x bars remaining”?
>
> Best
> Robert
>
> --
Robert,

Correct.

Of course, actually, I commonly dive 230 bar and start the ascent at
around 90-95 bar, using thirds. So the 77 bars accurately constituting a
third is really a bare minimum and it is affected by deco obligations.
But a message indicating "Ascent back gas pressure = 90 bar, i.e. within
rule-of-thirds pressure (77 bar)" would be helpful. It is an additional
bit of safety information that checks the accuracy of the deep section
of the overall dive planning outside of Subsurface. Does this make any
sense?
Kind regards,
willem