User manual post-V4.5 updates. Was: User manual: last-minute changes before V4.5

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 14:54:24 PDT 2015

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 11:22 PM, Willem Ferguson <
willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:

> On 13/10/2015 19:15, Willem Ferguson wrote:
>
> On 13/10/2015 18:32, Davide DB wrote:
>
> Hi Willem,
> Do not forget last minute clarification about TTS
>
> Davide, If you do not mind, let us do that AFTER the release. To add new
> text now makes things very difficult for the translators who have to work
> at the very last minute themselves. And I made a commitment to them that
> the Facebook patch is the last one. I will take up the TTS issue later in
> the week. Is this ok with you? Kind regards, willem
>
> Davide, Robert, Miika, 1) Are you by any chance prepared to help with the
> above on how TTS is calculated so I can put the text in the user manual? At
> the moment it is not
>
> a lot.  If diver goes into deco, TTS is shown; if TTS > 2h then TTS
>
> is shown as “> 2h”. Is that it? 2) I need to write something about the
> files in the .subsurface directory. At the moment I only see the hash-file.
> Actually

Hi Willem,

I tried a TTS explanation in the thread "Allow replanning of logged dives".

My message was:

I saw Willem warned about user manual being complete...

If Dirk push this patch I think we should have some explanation of how
TTS is calculated.

4.4.2 user manual says:

Clicking this button causes the Information Box to display the No-deco
Limit (NDL) or the Total Time to Surface (TTS). NDL is the time
duration that a diver can continue with a dive, given the present
depth, that does not require decompression (that is, before an ascent
ceiling appears). Once one has exceeded the NDL and decompression is
required (that is, there is an ascent ceiling above the diver, then
TTS gives the number of minutes required before the diver can surface.
TTS includes ascent time as well as decompression time.

I would mention that:

TTS is calculated assuming an ascent breathing
the gas currently used. . Even if the profile contains several gas
switches, TTS at a certain point is calculated with the current gas.
TTS calculation is a very cpu intensive task hence Subsurface will
calculated it only if it is less than 120 minutes. For TTS longer than
that Subsurface will indicate TTS > 2h

PS #1

Figure A and B mentioned in the user manual on my pc are nearly
unreadable. BTW figure B does not display TTS

Hope this helps