Attach videos or diagrams / ship plans and other documents

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Fri Oct 16 00:13:32 PDT 2015

Hi Dirk,

> On 15.10.2015, at 17:31, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>
> I don't mind the idea of being able to attach random files.

My approach to general files would be to attach them in the way we attach images, i.e. just store a filename (possibly with a hash) to the dive. Maybe one could obtain a representation of the file as a QImage, then we could display that in the pictures tab (renamed accordingly), for example a still image of a movie, otherwise we just show an icon (maybe the OS can provide one for the file type?) and upon double click invoke the open method of the OS (Mac has that, I am sure the others as well) on the file. Before, we might try some Qt ways of opening the file (like we do for images, we might as well for other video or audio files but we will have to rely on external programs for things like cartography files etc).

> There are some potential issues with this (so we'd have to be careful how these files are opened as I could easily construct a security attack vector out of a simplistic approach to implementing this).

I am not sure what you are thinking of. Yes, the OS opens executable files (or the like like Subsurface.app) by executing them. Do you think we should prevent that? Should we keep a whitelist of harmless file types?

Best
Robert

                      Scientific Coordinator
                      Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
                      http://www.atdotde.de

Enhance your privacy, use cryptography! My PGP keys have fingerprints
A9D1 A01D 13A5 31FA 6515  BB44 0820 367C 36BC 0C1D    and
DCED 37B6 251C 7861 270D  5613 95C7 9D32 9A8D 9B8F