Subsurface 4.5 (Win10) crash after adding dive with planner

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 15:17:44 PDT 2015

On 18 October 2015 at 00:40, Rick Walsh <rickmwalsh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have reproduced the crash on Windows 10 if I use the German translation of
> Subsurface, but not English.  I also got a similar crash when changing the
> language back to English.
>
> On 18 October 2015 at 07:39, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 17 October 2015 at 23:36, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > On 17 October 2015 at 21:55, Stefan Fuchs <sfuchs at gmx.de> wrote:
>> >>

>> sorry typos...
>>

>> > go to the folder where subsurface stored the default log file and
>> > rename it / delete it.
>> >
>> > on Windows 10 it should be at:
>> > c:\users\<yourname>\appdata\roaming\subsurface

>> > question:
>> > what are the exact steps to reproduce the issue?
>> >
>> > if i open Subsurface and select "Log" -> 'Plan Dive" then "Save", i
>> > doesn't not crash for me.
>>
>> "*it doesn't crash"
>>
>> > are there any extra steps or planner settings are causing that.
>>
>> "*which are causing that?"
>

> I changed the language to German, re-started Subsurface, my default logfile
> opened.  Opened the planner and entered a 90m trimix dive plan.  Subsurface
> crashed before saving the dive.  I don't think the plan itself is relevant.
> A screenshot is attached.

i tried reproducing the planner settings on German, but i can't get it
to crash on Windows 7.
are you on Windows 10? if so, could you send me your:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\msvcrt.dll

and the XML dive log which can crash on planning.

> On opening Event Viewer and finding Subsurface event logs, there are
> approximately 30 error events from the last few minutes with source
> DistributedCOM, and one from Service Control Manager.  They appear to relate
> to timeout waiting for WinDefend service, or permissions errors.  I can send
> you all the event logs, but here's one.
>
> The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation
> permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
> {D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
>  and APPID
> {9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
>  to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address
> LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID
> (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component
> Services administrative tool.

i don't see how these are Subsurface related unless they mention Subsurface.exe.
the "Source" column of the error should be "Application error" and
there should be a red exclamation mark on the "Level" column.

the crash log in such an entry should look like:
<snip>
Faulting application name: test.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x0035c8a8
Faulting module name: msvcrt.dll, version: 7.0.7601.17744, time stamp:
0x4eeaf722
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000d193
</snip>