Subsurface 4.5 (Win10) crash after adding dive with planner

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 17:41:14 PDT 2015

On 18 Oct 2015 11:34, "Lubomir I. Ivanov" <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17 October 2015 at 21:55, Stefan Fuchs <sfuchs at gmx.de> wrote:
> >

> > I really prefer this the other way around. Get everyone involved. Then
if someone has a specific follow up question, send them the file.
> > But for verification, for you Subsurface now crashes when you just try
to open that file?
> > Because that's a pretty standard mild trimix dive. Not long, not deep,
no unusual gases - this is something that we test all the time

> > Any ideas? Anything else you need to know from my side? Thanks!
> >

> > Not right now, let's see what Lubomir and Robert think
> >

> so, Rick sent me his MSVCRT.dll and the XML dive log.
> i can't reproduce the issue on Windows 7 with or without the German
translation.

> the faulting offset 0x0007b090 is oddly inside the vswprintf() branch
> of the DLL!
>
> 1017b08d: eb 07                 jmp    0x1017b096
> 1017b08f: 48                   dec    %eax
> 1017b090: 80 39 00             cmpb   $0x0,(%ecx)  <---------
> 1017b093: 74 05                 je     0x1017b09a
> 1017b095: 41                   inc    %ecx
> 1017b096: 85 c0                 test   %eax,%eax
> 1017b098: 75 f5                 jne    0x1017b08f
> 1017b09a: 2b ce                 sub    %esi,%ecx
>
> to me, that closely resembles a NULL pointer check.
>
> the question is where is vswprintf() used...
> i don't find any usage of this function in the Subsurface source tree
> (or any wide char functions to begin with), except in windows.c so it
> has to come from somewhere else...
>
> the only library which calls it directly is libzip, but i don't find
> that to be planner related (?).
>
> objdump -D libzip.dll | grep vswprintf
> 61693f1a <_vswprintf>:
> 61693f6a:       e8 ab ff ff ff          call   61693f1a <_vswprintf>
>
> anyhow, i would ask Rick and/or Stefan to run subsurface.exe under GDB
> so that we obtain some sort of meaningful backtrace.
> of course, only if we they agree to download a toolchain and follow
> some instructions.

I'm happy to do that.  I have a few things to do today, but if you give me
instructions how to install the toolchain I'll give it a go.  I have a
pretty basic Windows 10 setup.  HP laptop came with Windows 8 just before
10 was released.  Upgraded when I could (I don't mind Windows 7, but 8
doesn't agree with me).

Rick