Nightly Subsurface AppImage for most Linux distributions

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Oct 18 08:02:13 PDT 2015

> On Oct 18, 2015, at 5:51 AM, probono <probono at puredarwin.org> wrote:

>> some grantlee plugins are missing as well, but i don't know where to
>> put these on Linux. probably Dirk knows.
>
> Right now they are in usr/lib/grantlee/5.0/ but I don't know if they
> are picked up from there correctly. How can I know?

Yes, that's the right location.
To test, run Subsurface. Add a dive (Log->Add dive) and accept the changes.
Now go to print, pick a template and print to PDF. Did things get printed?
Your plugins are in the right spot.

>> the user can edit in-place the bundled files or even import more files
>> to the same folder.
>
> If these files are meant to be editable then the app (or a script
> launching it) could copy them to some location in $HOME.

The .so files won't be edited. But the templates might be. And now that
I think about this some more this may end up failing the way we currently
do it.
So yes, those need to be copied to ~/.subsurface on Linux. We'll do this
for Subsurface 4.5.1

>> the concept is great as an optional scenario, but it forces the
>> applications to do gymnastics if it wishes to maintain a folder where
>> the user can edit or update bundled files, manually or via the UI.
>> having an optional install in such a case has benefits.
>
> Well, a copy-on-write FUSE filesystem might be a way to achieve this
> while still maintaining the AppImage objectives; it would make the
> AppImage appear r/w when it is in fact r/o. Changed files would go
> somewhere in $HOME but would look to the application as if they were
> edited in the AppImage. Could probably be done, but is there really so
> much need for it?

No. We need to fix Subsurface not to have to write to the install location
because that will not work on most OSs. This is one of the problems
with developers usually testing in the build environment and not with a
typical system install (and we have no dedicated QA people who'd
actually test the system install).

>> i often make
>> updates to some of the 200MB files and wish to implement a
>> download-updates mechanic, which only touches some large library files
>> and possible the main executable
>> (...)
>> how would you approach this silly big CAD software example in a
>> portable OS manner?
>
> Use something like zsync to update the AppImage by only downloading
> the parts of it that have changed. Ubuntu uses this for their nightly
> ISO builds. http://zsync.moria.org.uk <http://zsync.moria.org.uk/>

Yeah, Lubomir's use-case certainly isn't what Subsurface does. So
this isn't my concern.

Any volunteer to deal with moving the printing templates to a writeable
location?