database backend

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Oct 18 08:09:13 PDT 2015

> On Oct 18, 2015, at 7:01 AM, Giorgio Marzano <marzano.giorgio at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Just out of curiosity,
>
> I am not an SQL guy, but it seems to me that subsurface is the typical application which would benefit greatly using a DBMS to store data and relations. It would simplify a lot data handling and storage.
>
> Is this opportunity ever been take in account?

Yes, it gets brought up by new contributors or the occasional user maybe once a year.
The simple answer is "no, that's not what we want to do". We really like text based storage
that is easy to understand for a human. The XML files can get big, but on most systems
that isn't an issue. The git storage is more compact but still very readable. And it has
certain properties (with easy ability to have remote storage with local offline cache and
great support for merging independent changes) that I have no idea how to implement
with a database backend.

So no, this isn't something we are looking at doing.