Should the dive location management UI be updated?

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Tue Oct 20 06:07:09 PDT 2015

Below is an attempt to simplify and unify the location management UI.

When a dive site name is entered in the Notes Tab, similar dive site
names are listed in a drop-down list. If the site has been dived before,
one can choose the appropriate existing site. This is also true if a
locality has more than one coordinate pair, e.g. if there are more than
one site that has been dived using the name "Blue Hole", or "South Pinnacle"

When a new set of coordinates are specified, other dive sites with a
similar name are supposed to be shown in a text box labelled "Dive sites
on same coordinates". If this list is shown on the basis of similar or
identical dive site names, then it duplicates the dropdown list in the
Notes Tab and it could be deleted. If it is based on coordinates (as the
heading says), then it appears not to be functional yet because, if in
the dive site management panel, I enter the identical coordinates of a
site I have dived frequently, then no items are shown in the "Dive sites
on same coordinates" text box. But this panel can be very valuable, (I
suspect as was envisioned when the code was written) if the text box did
exactly what the heading says "Dive sites on same coordinates", except
that I would like to change the heading to "Dive sites near the
coordinates". This would be a material improvement, allowing one to
discover several names that have been used for the same or similar
coordinates and to check that the coordinates typed into or provided
higher up are really the geographic locality one means. Of course the
meaning of "near", above is relative to interpretation, but in order to
be useful one could use a rule like "within 1 km" or "within a tenth of
a geographical degree". The former probably would require quite a bit of
calculation while the latter would probably be less computationally
intensive.
Kind regards,
willem