FW: mobile ui considerations

Anton Lundin glance at acc.umu.se
Tue Oct 20 07:51:22 PDT 2015

On 20 October, 2015 - Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 04:15:01 PM Davide DB wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 3:54 PM, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:
> > > What do you mean by "default development OS"?
> > >

> > > That said, I'd like to run the app on Android. I'm personally not much
> > > interested in IOS, I don't own such a device and I'm not planning to
> > > acquire one. It's a good way for someone else to provide useful
> > > contributions, of course.
> > > --
> >
> > I meant target platform, sorry.
>
> I left this out intentionally, the target platform to me depends on screen
> size and density, input devices. Qt is flexible enough to allow me to not care
> about these things, luckily.
>
> Concretely, it depends on what people test it on and make it work. Android
> seems like a good candidate.

I'm a bit late to the party, but Sebastian, welcome aboard!

I must say there was a non-trivial amount of fuckery involved in getting
Subsurface to build for android for the first time.
Most of the issues that showed up after the initial push has just bin
minor, and since i pushed the build-script upstream Dirk builds them
regularly and catches those minor things.

Sebastian: There's a script, packaging/android/build.sh , which would
show you the way. Its a pig with lipstick but it gets the job done. Or,
you can just grab the binaries that Dirk builds and load them on a
phone/emulator.

I guess that its possible to get Subsurface working on IOS to, but its a
quite big trial-n-error loop.
Just figuring out how to build our dependencies in a format which xcode
would accept would be a start. Another way is just to test to ifdef
everything out and get a bare minimum building and iterate from there.

I got some ideas on how to get my hands on a mac to do some testing on,
but its in about #87621 on my TODO-list. My Subsurface-time is currently
spent figuring out how we could import O2 sensor values from Shearwater
devices.

Anyhow, I'm glad that there is so much buzz about the Android app. It
got HUGE potential, and i would love to eventually get it out there.
We're closing on the 2 year anniversary on my first hack to get it
Subsurface building for Android, and i think its about time to get it
usable =)

//Anton

--
Anton Lundin	+46702-161604