Another braces warning this that I overlooked

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Oct 22 04:42:34 PDT 2015

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 01:29:46PM +0200, Guido Lerch wrote:
> Hi Dirk
>
> Thanks, I got a warning about dangling braces. That is send in two
> patches was because I didn't capture the second set the first time and I
> am still having issues to understand GIT  reset --amend and so on... GIT
> commands never get me where I think they would.

So I sent my consolidated fix in email and I just pushed it as well.
The way I do things like this is that I applied your two patches, realized
in the discussion with Robert how I really wanted things, then edited the
file to look the way I want it.

Now I amended your last commit:

git commit -a --amend

which got me two commits from you, the second one undoing the first one
and adding what I really wanted, So I did

git rebase -i HEAD~2

and then changed the 'pick' for the second commit to 'f' for fixup.
Now I have one commit and create a pleasing commit message.

Easy, right?

> I'd love to see what you do when you rewrite my patches..
> Are you doing this in a editor or do you apply them to a branch, reset the head and then commit?

All depends on what's going on. In most cases I just amend patches that
you guys send me. That way the original author and all this stays intact.
Sometime when things are more messed up I will reset, throw away the
commits but keep the code changes, edit as I wish things to be, and then
manually recreate commits explicitly setting the author, copying the SOB
from the original commits and then adding my explanation why I rewrote
things.

But that's fairly rare that I do that (I did this to your uemis patches)