Proposal on new planner layout

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Thu Oct 22 10:35:32 PDT 2015

On 21/10/2015 09:44, Martin Měřinský wrote:
> On Pá, 2015-10-16 at 09:38 +0200, Robert Helling wrote:
>> So if cleaning up the UI means breaking instant update I am totally
>> against this.
> Hi. OK, I tried to create mockups (using Sergey's idea for scrollable
> and foldable left panel) without moving anything to preferences.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not good with Qt Designer. So instead of ToolBox
> widget, imagine something like collapsible side panel in Qt Designer.
>
> On the left, there is user input. On the right, generated plan (profile
> on the top and text plan at the bottom).
>
> Planning dive is done from top to the bottom and ends with cancelling
> whole plan, saving it, and maybe printing it. No need to fill all the
> values and search for save button, which is currently for whatever
> reason on the top.
>
> Dive planner points and gases does not show empty white space.
>
> Ascent rates are reordered. I think surface on the top is more logical.
>
> Everywhere is space between number and unit. It is much more better to
> read.
>
> Best regards. Martin M.

Martin,
This is a very useful initiative. My feeling is that, in the new
proposal, a lot
of screen estate is occupied by the title bars of each of the collapsible
panels. Would it not be useful to see if a more traditional design,
using tabs
along the top or the side might be more efficient?
Kind regards,
willem