Bluetooth blues solved (sort of)

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Thu Oct 29 01:41:19 PDT 2015

On 29/10/2015 09:19, Ivan Wagner wrote:
> Dear Willem,
>
> I'm facting similar issues. What external software are you actually
> using at the moment? I'm on ubuntu LTS 14.04.
>
> Thank you for the info,
>
> ivan
>

>> The problem I encountered is OS-specific to the Ubuntu bluetooth
>> interface. After loading external software and not using the built-in
>> Ubuntu tool, I am able to download the Petrel reliably. Thank you very
>> much for your time with this.
>> Kind regards,
>> willem

Ivan,

I use Blueman (https://launchpad.net/blueman). As far as I can see
Blueman is an independent Ubuntu-specific app. My version is 1.99alha,
the last release before version 2. I see version 2 has now been released
for some versions of Ubuntu. I first disabled the onboard Bluetooth of
the Dell and used a dongle which bluez instantly recognised. Then I
installed Blueman and accessed the dive computer through the dongle and
Blueman without touching the Ubuntu standard interface. After successful
transfers I tried with the dongle and with standard Ubuntu: still no
action. Then I removed the dongle, activated the onboard bluetooth
hardware, and tried with Blueman which worked flawlessly. Not knowing
too much about this stuff (Claudiu on this list actually knows much
better) I would make sure that I have a fairly recent version of bluez,
install Blueman and see what happens. Blueman in itself is not an
extremely intuitive interface, for instance with PIN codes, one of the
options is "Do not pair". Looks like this actually means "Do not use a
PIN code while pairing". But I finally got the hang of it and it is
working ok now. The nice thing is that, once paring has been performed
for the first time, subsequent connections are almost automatic and the
PIN code issue usually disappears.
Kind regards,
willem