Fwd: Re: count down to Beta 1

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Sep 1 06:43:49 PDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 03:38:34PM +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> On 01/09/2015 15:15, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> >On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 12:17:31PM +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> >>  Do not forget the installation of the final build of Subsurface into the
> >>systems space. There is some contextual dependencies. Just moving the
> >>executable from subsurface/build/ to a different directory destroys the
> >>marble functionality on my machine.
> >Can you be more specific? Which OS?
>
> Ubuntu
>

> >On Mac OS you simply move the Subsurface.app and this works
> >On Windows you need to build an installer
> >On Linux "make install" should do the right thing

> willem:~/src/subsurface/build$ sudo make install
[...]
> Install the project...
> -- Install configuration: "Debug"
> -- Up-to-date: /home/willem/src/install-root/share/subsurface/data/maps
>
> ...  ...  etc  etc
>
> -- Up-to-date: /home/willem/src/install-root/bin/subsurface
> willem:~/src/subsurface/build$
>
> NOW:
> If I now run Subsurface from the console (in my Home directory) and click
> Help -> About Subsurface
>  I get V4.4.2 - 1330  (The last Ubuntu binary I downloaded some weeks ago)
> Which certainly is not the binary I built from git (SHA g2c4ae23)
>
> Ferguson's finger trouble? (quite possibly, he is quite known for that)

Ah, now I get it. Different target directories.

The build.sh installs everything into the install-root, including Subsurface.
I agree, that's a design choice when writing that script that could be
re-thought.

So yes, our cmake infrastructure does correctly know how to install on
Linux. But our build.sh script doesn't necessarily install where the user
expects to find things.