Cloud storage merge, baby steps

Steve stevewilliams at internode.on.net
Thu Sep 3 12:40:28 PDT 2015

-------- Original message --------
Date:31/08/2015 10:51 AM (GMT+09:30)
Subject: RE: Cloud storage merge, baby steps

-----Original Message-----
From: subsurface [mailto:subsurface-bounces at subsurface-divelog.org] On
Behalf Of Steve
Sent: Friday, 28 August 2015 8:57 AM
To: 'Subsurface Mailing List' <subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org>

-----Original Message-----
From: subsurface [mailto:subsurface-bounces at subsurface-divelog.org] On
Behalf Of Dirk Hohndel
Sent: Wednesday, 26 August 2015 7:14 AM
To: Subsurface Mailing List <subsurface at subsurface-divelog.org>; Linus
Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org>
Subject: Cloud storage merge, baby steps

I just pushed quite a few commits that implement a brain damaged
implementation of git merge - including a few tests that simulated a couple
of very simple scenarios that are already supported.

What would really help right now are two things

a) code review. My code is wrong. I am absolute certain of that.

b) testing. This is easy. Two computers. Connect to cloud storage on both.
Make random changes here and there and randomly try to save them. Try to
break things. And if you do, please post steps to reproduce the breakage.

Oh, one caveat. So the test uses the ssrftest at hohndel.org account on the
cloud backend. I realize that that may not be ideal - multiple people
running make test at the same time could lead to fun situations. But I
couldn't come up with a different way to do this without requiring every
developer to sign up for a separate test account...

One thing you shouldn't do. Create merge scenarios with your real data.
Sure, you /should/ be able to get your current state back from git. But I
don't want to find out that it's possible to corrupt the git backend with
this and then have people be upset about their data being lost.

Daily builds (-1498) are up for Windows, Mac and Android and should be ready
soon for the support Linux versions.

/D

Something I noticed when testing and making backups.
If I use the cloud storage then save it as a local file, after opening the
local file the line breaks in the dive site edit notes field are not
retained (v1498 daily on windows 10 64 bit).

FYI The latest 1539 daily fixed the notes when saving from cloud storage to
a local file.

I also now tested  going the other way (local to cloud) and found the same
issue where the line endings are stripped out.

Steve