smoke testing Beta 1

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 14:29:41 PDT 2015

Hi Dirk,

On 4 September 2015 at 00:45, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 03, 2015 at 06:56:09AM -0700, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> > In downloads/daily you'll find 4.4.95 - this is actually a test for Beta
> 1
>
> And because I shouldn't do these things at 4am... of course I messed
> things up. So next attempt, now with 4.4.96 (but still named Beta 1)
>
> I couldn't find 4.4.96 (or 4.4.95) in downloads/daily - I tested
subsurface-4.4.2-1589-gd1a4020ad53d.exe instead.  Running Windows 8.1.

> The rest below still applies.
>
> > I'd appreciate if people could download it and try it. Does it correctly
> > install? Does it identify as Beta 1? Any glaring issues?
> >
> > I know that Paul has Bluetooth issues with the Windows binaries. Could
> > others please try BT under Windows with that binary? What about printing?
> > Same for the Mac binaries.
> >
> > I also have Beta builds for most of the Linux platforms. I'm missing
> > Fedora 21 / x86 and Ubuntu trusty at this point, but F22, all the
> openSUSE
> > flavors and Ubuntu vivid are ready.
> >
> > Same request. Please install, check the version number, check that BT and
> > printing work.
> >
> > Ideally I'd want to release Beta 1 later today so I'd appreciate if
> people
> > could spend a moment and report back.

I tested the native Bluetooth download with my Petrel 2.

Firstly, I attempted the download and my dive computer was detected, paired
and connected.  But I had no new dives on my dive computer since the last
time I downloaded them, so nothing was downloaded.  This is entirely
correct behaviour.

Next, I checked "Force download of all dives", then retried.  This time
Subsurface crashed (see error message below).

Next, I restarted Subsurface, deleted my five most recent dives and tried
again.  This time, three dives downloaded, before the Petrel displayed an
error message I have never seen before.

BLUETOOTH ERROR:
Send Packet Error

The three successfully downloaded dives were shown in Subsurface.

Finally, I deleted those three dives, and re-attempted to connect and
download.  This time all five downloaded flawlessly.

I had no time to test anything else.

Below is the Subsurface / Windows error message from when I attempted to
force download of all dives.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    subsurface.exe
  Application Version:    0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:    55e77f45
  Fault Module Name:    subsurface.exe
  Fault Module Version:    0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:    55e77f45
  Exception Code:    c0000005
  Exception Offset:    001dfe88
  OS Version:    6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
  Locale ID:    3081
  Additional Information 1:    5861
  Additional Information 2:    5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
  Additional Information 3:    a10f
  Additional Information 4:    a10ff7d2bb2516fdc753f9c34fc3b069

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=280262

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy
statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Cheers,

Rick