Bluetooth download - segfault when Choose Bluetooth download mode isn't selected

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Sep 6 07:46:00 PDT 2015

On Sun, Sep 06, 2015 at 09:20:27PM +1000, Rick Walsh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I get a segfault (on Fedora 22), if I hit 'Download' without first
> selecting 'Choose Bluetooth download mode'.  The Vendor (Shearwater), Dive
> computer (Petrel) and Device or mount point (the Petrel's MAC address), are
> automatically entered from the last time I downloaded dives.  The dive
> computer was in upload mode, but I suspect that's irrelevant.  I ran under
> gdb and got the backtrace.

Interesting.
Claudiu, is this something you can look into?

It seems to me we either shouldn't keep those settings or we need to make
sure that if we have these settings things are correctly set up...

> If I select 'Choose Bluetooth download mode', run a Bluetooth scan, and
> select my dive computer, everything works as it should.

So the easiest solution would be to just not remember these - but can we
redo the steps automatically to make this even easier for the user?

> If it is necessary to use the Bluetooth selection dialogue before
> downloading, rather than remembering from last time, we should alert the
> user instead of segfaulting.

Yep.

> I just got home from a weekend of collecting data in deep holes on sheep
> and dairy farms (the fun part of "testing Subsurface").  I'll try the
> Windows beta next, and see if I can crash it in the same way.

:-)